The Australian Power Institute (API) along with program partner The Australian Academy of Technology & Engineering (ATSE) have developed a STEM career awareness program for Year 2 students called Day in the Life of a Seven-Year-Old.
This program aims to extend the curiosity around STEM knowledge and skills through providing a program that provides awareness of how STEM careers impact the world immediately around a child’s day to day life.
VISION: To encourage curiosity in year 2 students in all schools across Australia by providing adaptable, practical and skills-based STEM related activities within their curriculum to raise awareness around future career pathways in STEM.
WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT:
1. Australia’s STEM trends and the future – Performance, take-up and Economic and Social Wellbeing
2. Recent research supports starting ‘career’ conversations at age 8*
WHAT WE HOPE TO ACHEIVE:
- Encourage curiosity in the STEM disciplines with year 2 students using their daily routine to promotes awareness of how STEM careers impact the world immediately around a child’s day to day life
- Support teaching and learning in the Australian Curriculum around Science, Mathematics and Technologies by embedding this program as in curriculum activities that have a Design and Technology focus and are easy to use
- Focus on developing students 21st Century skills aligned with the general capabilities –Critical & Creative Thinking and Personal & Social Capability including collaboration, innovation and entrepreneurship
- Promote a common understanding of STEM amongst students, teachers and parents and the significance of this for future employability.
API conducted a proof of concept trial in Brisbane in 2018 with excellent results and are wrapping up Pilot 2019 which 25 schools from across Australia participated in during Term 4 2019. We look forward to sharing a post pilot report early in 2020 which will include plans for future development.Download PDF brochure illustrating the Day in the Life Program Overview, Pilot 2018 results and plans for Pilot 2019. Download PDF newsletter outlining the Day in the Life Program update: December 2019.
QUESTIONS AND/OR CONTACT: Program Manager: Jane Smith