2021 Theme: "Thriving in Uncertainty and Harnessing Opportunity: Building the knowledge, insights and connections to enable success in these times of unprecedented uncertainty and opportunity."
15 March 2021: Summer School+ online sessions begin
19 - 30 July 2021: In person conference
Hosted in South Australia - venue to be confirmed
You can also watch a short video created by API Chief Executive, Dr. David Pointing, which gives detailed overview of new Summer School+ program delivery. Click here to watch!
Introducing new Summer School+
Our famous Summer School is evolving for 2021 - hence the PLUS. Join us in 2021 to experience our new online Strategic Insights module featuring senior executives from API member organisations, and the highly regarded 2-week residential module.
The Executive Insights sessions will build upon the existing program of the Summer School including Syndicate group project work during the residential component. During 8x online modules (March to June 2021), senior executives from API member organisations will share their insights on strategic issues facing the sector and the API member organisations, and the mindset and skills needed for approaching these challenges.
These executives will also share strategic challenge statements for Summer School delegates to reflect upon during the residential component. After the Summer School, delegates will meet again online to develop short responses to the Challenge statements, drawing together the many threads explored during the School and provdiing invaluable insight to the Executives.
This is an invaluable way to build your technical, strategic and leadership knowledge and connect with experts, executives and other emerging leaders in the power sector and strengthen your ability to make significant contributions to our sector and your organisation's future!
Limited spots available! If you are interested in attending or would like to book delegate(s) on your organisation's behalf, please contact email@example.com to secure. If you are booking on behalf of your organisation, you do not need to confirm delegate names at this stage. These can be confirmed early 2021.
Discounts for early registration, API members and 3+ delegates.
Early Bird: 31 December 2020 Final: 28 February 2021
Purpose of API Summer School
- Delegates will broaden thinking, boost experience levels and develop strategic leadership skills associated with the
- development and implementation of technology
- Improved understanding of various technologies' economic, technical and customer value
- Gain access to a range of best practice solutions (through industry leaders sharing case studies and practical experiences)
- Establish a network of contacts across the industry/nation
- Increased understanding of the environment within which networks are managed - an understanding of the need for an adaptive and responsive network
- Energise delegates to take the learnings/knowledge gained
Total investment for the summer school includes a first class to make a difference and to lead change in their organisation residential program (including group activities and site visits), electronic copies of all presentations, accommodation and meals (including all group dinners and functions) and an attendance certificate for Continuing Professional Development (CPD) in accordance with EA CPD guidelines.
How will delegates personally benefit?
Through accelerated development in the only first class whole of industry program, this will reduce the need to attend multiple development activities. Delegates will:
- Improve global industry knowledge and position delegates for professional advancement
- Receive certificate of continuing professional development completion
- Advance Personal CV
Survey statistics consistently prove that delegates consider it an honour to attend the API Summer School
AIM OF THE SUMMER SCHOOL
- Provide power engineers with 4-15 years of experience (can include para professionals) from all sectors of the industry (i.e. generation, renewables, transmission, distribution, consulting, manufacturing, end users) with an understanding of the industry drivers and key issues
- Provide experienced engineers from other industries, joining the power industry, with power engineering applied fundamentals and best practice
- Provide accelerated technical leadership skills and awareness of technology to enhance business performance through high performing power engineering staff
- Bring industry personal with diverse backgrounds together to share learnings and experiences in order to develop personal networks for ongoing future career development
BENEFITS FOR THE DELEGATES
- Improved understanding of drivers and issues in all sectors including the need to be adaptive and responsive to meet customer and community expectations
- Accelerated development and sharing of learning through case studies, field/site visits and a practical industry syndicate project.
- Update on best practice, technology and industry solutions
- Development towards future positions of leadership of engineering teams and technical specialists.
- Established network of power engineering industry contacts + USB with delegate profiles.
- New thinking and skills ready to be applied in the workplace to "make a difference"
BENEFITS FOR THE EMPLOYERS
- Delegates will enhance their leadership amd technical thinking and overall business contribution
- Provide delegates with essential mix of resources in order to provide a smooth transition into future leader/manager roles
- Allows for all conference participants (delegates, presenters, syndicate leaders) from various levels and diverse backgrounds to interact and share knowledge
- Provides new insight to resolve industry issues and provide innovative solutions that will keep companies relevant and sustainable into the future
UNIQUE DELIVERY OF THIS RESIDENTIAL PROGRAM INCLUDES
- Residential, intensive two week program in a first class learning environment
- Each day's program will commence with an introduction to the Drivers, Key Issues and Fundamentals of the designated "daily theme" and then build towards options, solutions, and industry best practice. Each session will have ample question time to facilitate interaction between delegates and expert presenters
- Extensive use of case studies to share learnings and problems encountered
- Mix of expert presenters, panels/forums, site visits and syndicate work, to ensure maximum learning outcomes.
- Balance of presentations from industry and universities to ensure a sound understanding of fundamentals and practical application within industry
- Syndicate teams of 3-5 will be formed to work on a defined industry case study and/or problem which will be facilitated by a subject matter expert. Delegates are requested to select a topic/field that they are not currently working in so that they can widen their knowledge and broaden their outlook • Networking with high performing technical staff identified as potential leaders in the industry (delegates consider it an honour to attend)
- Support by local universities
- Recognised as a Continuing Professional Development activity (refer to Engineers Australia Guidelines for recognition of CPD hours)
- Provision of a safe environment, particularly during site visits. (Delegates are responsible for providing their personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Opportunity to explore local attractions during limited leisure time
- To obtain maximum benefit from this program delegates should plan no other work commitments during the 2 week period
TESTIMONIAL FEEDBACK & STATISTICS
"This program will help you reach the next level in your career. Great learning, great opportunities and great networking. It really is a 'must do!' "
"The API Summer School provided an excellent opportunity to network, gain a big picture industry perspective and advance insight into multiple organizations. It has truly been an empowering experience."
"The API Summer School attracts the highest caliber of speakers in the industry, who have both expertise in subject matter and a vision. The delegates also are of the highest quality. Its is a journey that should inspire most, if not all, participants to be industry visionaries."
"The API summer school is a fantastic opportunity to learn from some of the top academic lecturers and senior industry managers in the country, while also networking with other power engineers. I consider it to be a career highlight and will always look back fondly on my experience."
"The API Summer School is a definite must-attend for professionals involved in the Power Industry. The lectures, tours and talks will definitely build on your kit bag of tools which you can draw upon as you progress through your career. The two weeks is well worth the effort and the API personnel are able to make it fun. It's like going back to school but this time you're well aware that it's going to lead you to the path to success!"
"This program has given me a broaden range of knowledge (existing and future) to enable me to go further in my organisation. This is very essential for my career development. In fact, the level of knowledge that I obtained from both industry and academic lectures in these two weeks is almost equivalent and more than what I have learned from university over the four years period."
"API Sumer School provides an excellent opportunity to take a step back from your daily role and get a big picture view of our industry and the challenges ahead. It has given me some great ideas that I will be taking back to my role in our business to tackle these challenges. It was also a fantastic networking opportunity that I have not experienced in any other training or conference event. I highly recommend the API Summer School!"
"The API Summer School was a fantastic Experience. It is difficult to gain a broad view and understanding of the complexities and parties involved in the power industry during the course of normal employment except through many years of experience, however the API Summer School brings this together in just 2 weeks. I have also made new friends that I would not normally have met! I cannot recommend this highly enough."
"The API Summer School was a great opportunity to look afresh at the power industry and grapple with the challenges that are emerging in the industry. Awesome networking opportunity backed up by quality presentations providing a spectrum of breadth and depth of knowledge."
"This program helped me understand a broad and valuable understanding of the Industry as well as the challenges faced in the future. The skills gained from both presentations and syndicate work will certainly help me bring new ideas to my workplace in order to improve our work practices as well as advance my individual career development".